Friday, June 19, 2009

'Til we meet again Europe.

Gino: “Hi, I’m calling to let you know that I’ll be out of the country and will be using my debit card in the following countries....”
Representative: “No problem Mr. Emanuels, when are you leaving?”
Gino: “Um, I’m boarding the plane actually.”
(I know, I know. I’m a procrastinator)
I remember the conversation as if it happened yesterday. Five weeks isn’t a very long time, but for a person with a memory as bad as mine, to be able to relive that moment as vividly as I can is a monumental feat. Every memory of this trip will be fresh in my mind for years to come. I’m not gonna lie, when this trip started, I was nervous. I was even second-guessing the decision. My first time in Europe. My first study abroad. My first time interacting with many of the people on the trip. My first time away from everything I know and love. This trip may well have been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Not only did I get to travel to places that I never thought I’d see, and learn about different parts of the world, I had the opportunity to travel to a place that was yet uncharted. I traveled to the inner most regions of me and spent time learning about me. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the camaraderie, and the friendships I’ve cultivated during my stay here, but the quiet moments in between made all the difference. I feel as though I’ve gotten to see what I’m truly made of. I feel now like I know Gino. And to be honest (and not to sound like a d-bag), but I enjoy who I am as a person. As an Individual. As a man. Maybe the better way to put it is that I’m comfortable with who I am. Anyone out there who is thinking about partaking in a program such as this one, or even just to get away for a while, I HIGHLY recommend it. One of the most memorable moments was in Croatia. I was perched on the ledge of what was once a glassed-in veranda of a luxury hotel that had been blown out by an explosion. It sounds morbid but trust me it was anything but. There I was, looking out over the Adriatic from a place where lives were forever changed thinking about how my life was about to change forever. No matter who you are, or how tough you think you are, being surrounded by that much beauty conflicted by the idea of the misery that occupied that very same place does something to you. I mean, I was a boy born in a third world nation who survived struggles that no one should ever have to experience, sitting there as a man in a place where others experienced atrocities that I can’t even begin to fathom. From going to sleep with hunger pains and eating one meal a day in high school, to visiting remote parts of the world, and eating amazing dishes. It’s humbling. It’s surreal. It’s a blessing. Most of all, it’s inspirational. If to no one else, to myself. I promised my mother that one day I will be able to take care of her. I vow to make good on that. If I made it this far, I can make it a little bit farther. I used to be angry about what has happened to me in my life. I Used to. Life is short. Life is ugly. Life is beautiful. Life is about change. Being on this trip has shown me that anything is possible and nothing is worth harboring anger or resentment over. Some of you may be thinking, “what the hell is Gino talking about?” If you know me and can truly call me your friend, then you know where this is coming from. It’s not often that I give way to this side of me but like I said, this trip has helped me to realize things that have long been just out of my reach. Thank you for taking the time to follow me on this incredible journey. My journey through Europe and through myself. I pray that everyone gets the opportunity to take a similar journey. You don’t need to book a flight. No hotel reservations necessary. Just yourself, your thoughts, and an open mind. Travel safe.


No comments: